Labs API Terms and Conditions of Use
The JSTOR Labs APIs ("Labs API(s)") allow a user to interact with JSTOR data and services including but not limited to, allowing the submission of text for the receipt of Labs generated analytic results, and the development of apps and/or components which access data and services exposed by the JSTOR Labs APIs. These Terms and Conditions of Use will apply to your use of the Labs APIs and any content, features or functionality made available from or through this web site ("Labs API Site"). By using the Labs APIs, you are agreeing to these Terms and Conditions of Use. JSTOR, which is a service of ITHAKA, reserves the right to modify these Terms and Conditions at any time. The most updated Terms and Conditions of Use will be posted on the Labs API site..
Permitted UsesRegistered users of a Labs API may
- query the Labs API using the available methods;
- download resulting aggregated output to view, use and display;
- view document-level data; and
- develop and share applications to perform the foregoing functions.
Prohibited UsesUsers may not
- use the Labs APIs and/or any output derived from it for commercial purposes or gains (it being understood commercial purposes or gains does not include research whose end-use is commercial in nature);
- attempt to override, circumvent, or disable any encryption features or software protections employed in the Labs APIs;
- undertake any activity that may interfere with, disrupt or otherwise burden the Labs APIs or Labs API Site or any third-party server(s) being used or accessed in connection with either;
- distribute and/or make available a significant portion of downloaded JSTOR content as part of the creation and/or provision of a database that may be used independently from or as a substitute for the Labs API, the JSTOR Labs site (https://labs.jstor.org), including but not limited to all projects contained therein, or J JSTOR (http://www.jstor.org/); or
- make any use, display, performance, reproduction, or distribution that exceeds or violates these Terms and Conditions of Use.
Terms for User-Generated ApplicationsWe encourage users to develop their own applications for use in connection with the Labs APIs ("User Generated Applications") and to share these with our community. Links to these may be posted on a designated space at labs.jstor.org. Please note that any User Generated Application(s) that are shared must be shared in accordance with the terms of a Creative Commons Attribution Non-Commercial ShareAlike 4.0 license.
AttributionUsers who display or otherwise distribute output or information obtained from or in connection with the Labs APIs must credit JSTOR ("Courtesy of JSTOR").
Warranty and IndemnityYou represent and warrant that your use of a Labs API any User Generated Applications will not infringe any patent, copyright, trade secret or other proprietary right of any third party and will not contain a virus, spyware, or other harmful component. You agree to indemnify and hold ITHAKA harmless from any and all liability and costs incurred in connection with any claim arising out of your breach of this representation and warranty and these Terms and Conditions of Use. You will cooperate as fully as reasonably required in the defense of any claim. ITHAKA reserves the right, at its own expense, to assume the exclusive defense and control of any matter subject to indemnification by you.
DisclaimersTHE LABS API SITE, CONTENT, AND ACCESS SOFTWARE, INCLUDING THE TEXT ANALYZER TOOL, LABS APIS AND USER GENERATED APPLICATIONS, ARE PROVIDED ON AN "AS IS" BASIS, AND ITHAKA AND ANY AND ALL THIRD PARTY CONTENT AND SOFTWARE PROVIDERS AND/OR LICENSORS ("CONTENT PROVIDERS") DISCLAIM ANY AND ALL OTHER WARRANTIES, CONDITIONS, OR REPRESENTATIONS OF ANY KIND (EXPRESS, IMPLIED, ORAL, OR WRITTEN) RELATING TO THE LABS APIS, CONTENT, DOCUMENTATION, ACCESS SOFTWARE, OR ANY PARTS THEREOF, INCLUDING WITHOUT LIMITATION, ANY AND ALL IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF NON-INFRINGEMENT, ACCURACY, QUALITY, PERFORMANCE, COMPATIBILITY, MERCHANTIBILITY, OR FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE. ITHAKA MAKES NO WARRANTIES WITH RESPECT TO ANY HARM THAT MAY BE CAUSED BY THE TRANSMISSION OF A COMPUTER VIRUS, WORM, TIME BOMB, LOGIC BOMB, OR OTHER SUCH COMPUTER PROGRAM. ITHAKA FURTHER DISCLAIMS ANY LIABILITY AND MAKE NO WARRANTIES WITH RESPECT TO ANY ERRORS OR OMISSIONS OR THIRD PARTY CLAIMS REGARDING THE CONTENT AND FURTHER DISCLAIMS ANY LIABILITY AND MAKES NO WARRANTY WITH RESPECT TO ANY CLAIMS AND/OR THREATENED CLAIMS (INCLUDING INTELLECTUAL PROPERTY RIGHTS CLAIMS AND/OR THREATENED CLAIMS) RELATING TO LINKS BETWEEN THE LABS API SITE AND OTHER SITES AND/OR THE CONTENT ON SUCH LINKED SITES AND ANY AND ALL USES OF THE CONTENT.
Governing LawThese Terms and Conditions of Use will be interpreted and construed according to United States law, excluding any such laws or conventions that might direct the application of the laws of another jurisdiction, and venue will lie exclusively in the federal and state courts of the United States, excluding any such laws to the contrary.
TerminationAny use of the Labs APIs beyond the scope or in violation of these Terms and Conditions of Use, or any fraudulent, abusive, or otherwise illegal activity, may be grounds for termination of your access to the Labs APIs from your IP address, without notice and at ITHAKA's sole discretion. In addition, ITHAKA may terminate access to the Labs APIs for any reason or no reason in its discretion.
DMCA NotificationsIf you believe that such content violates your copyright or otherwise violates your rights, please send a written notice to ITHAKA directed to the Office of the General Counsel, ITHAKA, 2 Rector St., New York, NY 10006 or send an email to the address listed at the U.S. Copyright Office DMCA Designated Agent Directory. Please provide with your notice the following information, consistent with the Digital Millennium Copyright Act:
- a physical or electronic signature of a person authorized to act on behalf of the copyright owner;
- identification of the copyrighted work(s) claimed to have been infringed;
- identification of the infringing material and information that will permit JSTOR to locate the material;
- information that will permit us to contact you, including an address, telephone number, and, if available, an electronic mail address at which you may be contacted;
- a statement by you that, in your good faith belief, use of the material in the manner complained of is not authorized by the copyright owner, its agent, or the law; and
- a statement that the information in the notification is accurate, and that you are authorized to act on behalf of the owner of an exclusive right that is allegedly infringed. Upon such notification, or if ITHAKA learns of such a claim from another source, ITHAKA may remove such content pending the resolution of such claim.
- JSTOR reserves the right to modify these Terms and Conditions, or any aspect of the JSTOR Labs API site or JSTOR Labs APIs, at any time. Notice that modifications have been made shall be posted to this page. Your continued use of the JSTOR Labs API site and JSTOR Labs APIs shall be considered acceptance of such modified terms.
Last updated on January 11, 2018